Bihar State of Governance 2020: Education, Water & Agriculture Thrive
Bihar State of Governance 2020 rankings show significant gains on the back of impressive performance in education, agriculture, water and police & safety sectors. The state has posted consistent improvement in its ranking in our annual SKOCH State of Governance research. It climbed to 11th position in 2020 from 17th position in the previous year, making a significant jump of six position in the overall ranking. Bihar was placed at 20th position in 2018 ranking.
Education Thrives in Bihar State of Governance 2020
Bihar topped the education sector ranking with two high performing projects. In the education sector sectoral ranking Bihar is followed by Punjab at the second spot and Chandigarh Union Territory at the third. Though in the terms of the number of projects Punjab was ahead on the basis of weightage of the project Bihar emerged topper. The total number of selected projects from Punjab in the education category stood at five, while from Bihar it was two.
Bihar Agricultural University, Sabour, has introduced an innovative capacity building and training programme for farmers and rural youth.
The university has rolled out several ICT-enabled innovative agriculture extension approaches in order to reach out to the farming community on a real-time basis. The major approaches developed and adopted by the university include:
1. Digital Chaupal: Real Time Farmers-Scientist Interface through Video-Conferencing
2. Kisan Gyan Rath: Taking Technology To Farmers Door Step
3. Community Radio Station
4. Digital Storytelling and its dissemination through Social media
5. Videos through SD cards: An approach to tackle internet issues
6. Dissemination of timely information through SMS/Voice messages
Millions of farmers have benefited because of the initiative of the university. It has helped farmers in getting easy access to agricultural information and adopt right technologies for enhancing farm productivity.
Bihar Agricultural University, Sabour, has also introduced an innovative initiative targeted at ensuring nutritional security of women and children in rural areas. The initiative called ‘Apni Kyari Apni Thali‘ is an innovative initiative towards building a strong linkage between existing Krishi Vigyan Kendras and Aanganwadi centres through ICDS to roll out an integrated strategy to address malnutrition among the rural woman and children.
Read the complete story on Inclusion here.
Recent SKOCH Awardees from Bihar
Bihar’s Evidence of Excellence
- Yuva Rujhan, District Administration, Kaimur
- AMRIT – Making District Government Hospital a Baby Friendly, District Administration Kaimur
- Transforming Anganwadi center’s kitchen Free from smoke, District Administration, Kaimur
- Innovative ICT Based Approaches for Transfer of Technology and Capacity Building of the Farmers – Farm Women and Rural Youth, Bihar Agricultural University, Sabour
- Apni Kyari Apni Thali (AKAT): An Innovative Model for Nutritional Security of Rural Woman & Children – Bihar Agricultural University, Sabour
- Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) – Department of Social Welfare, Bihar
- Livelihood diversification and capacity building of tribal communities in the aspirational districts of Bihar – Bihar Agricultural University, Sabour
About SKOCH Awards | Methodology | Past Highlights
SKOCH Award Nomination Form