Municipalities in 2020: Governance & Sanitation in the Pandemic
Municipalities in 2020 have performed well in India. The SKOCH State of Governance project studies state government function every year. But as SKOCH began to notice some trends and how Covid-19 affected governance in India, it decided to dig a little deeper. We’ve analysed how specific governance sectors like District Administration and Police & Safety have performed exceptionally in 2020. It has been interesting to see that these categories -usually metrics we use to judge state performance- have evolved in response to the pandemic.
Most changes have been for the better as can be seen with a countrywide shift towards independent, beneficiary-led schemes. There has certainly been a greater sense of civic duty, shared responsibility and cooperation observed at every tier of public and political life. People are not only taking an initiative to make changes on the ground, but are also more receptive to the efforts of the government. In the same vein, it has been noticed that growth this past year is that of Municipal Sanitation and Municipal Governance.
State Ranking by Municipality Performance
The following table takes a look at how different states have performed in terms of municipal function in 2020. Andhra Pradesh tops the list, keeping in line with its position as the #1 state on our State of Governance report card for 2020. Other star performers like Gujarat, Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh also make it to this list. Additionally, Odisha and West Bengal are also some of Top-10 in our overall state rankings to have done well on the municipalities front.
Read the complete story on Inclusion here.
Recent SKOCH Awardees from Municipality
Municipality’s Evidence of Excellence
- Solid Waste Management – Bobbili Municipality
- Tadepalli Municipality Preventive Measures of COVID-19 – Municipal Administration & Urban Development Authority Tadepalli
- Response to Covid – 19 – Punganur Municipality
- Effective Containment of COVID-19 Using Technology at Suryapet Municipality – Suryapet Municipality Telangana
- Siddipet Municipality wins Skoch awards
- Skoch Award for community kitchen project
- Guntur Municipal Corporation vehicles now run on fuel generated from plastic waste
SKOCH Award Nomination Form